Well, woke up at 10PM, refreshed, and instead of going to
bed, stayed up with the goal to catch the news and let the dogs out while I
watch the news so Keira could pee and poop outside, hopefully lasting the night
before we let her out in the morning.
Well, Keira was uncharacteristically fidgety, even for
her this late in the pregnancy. She
wanted out, but wouldn’t go out. She
would lie down in one spot, then immediately get up and move to another. She was whimpering and totally
distracted. She’d come to me and her
eyes were so wet and goopy, it seemed like she was crying. And her nose – that really alarmed me, it was
so dry and so hot.
I’ve got both dogs with their heads in my lap and I’ve
got one hand on Riley’s nose (wet and cool) and he’s calm but clearly concerned
about Keira’s agitation. Keira’s nose –what
a contrast between the two pups, hot, hot, hot!
By now, I’ve finished all my email correspondence, have
let the pups out numerous times to no avail for comforting Keira and the news
is over. Keira is wicked restless, I’m kinda worried something’s wrong.
So I google “pregnant dog hot nose”. Now, let me state for the record – never google
that phrase at midnight. It guarantees
you won’t sleep the rest of the night. I’m
getting results that tell me that Keira, who is not due until March 30 or
later, could potentially start birthing in 12-24 hours. WHAT?!! NO!
I have no experience with pregnant dogs. Can dogs miscarry? Can they have premature births? WHAT is wrong with Keira tonight, are there
complications with the pregnancy? Is
YAHOO correct that she’s going to go into labor this evening?
So I fire off a panicked email to Rhea, asking if there’s
something wrong and what can I do to make Keira more comfortable. Yeah, nobody responds to an email after
midnight most of the time, I know.
So I break out my rusty old parenting skills (my kids are
24 & 25 years old) – what do you do with a kid in the middle of the night
with a fever (and a dry nose)? Cold wet
cloth – me and the pups sat on the floor for a good half hour while I got her
nose to cool off and become somewhat hydrated.
She really settled down after that but I was still a wreck.
I gotta go to bed, Keira and Riley have been out so many times
this evening that they can’t possible have any pee or poop left in them.
So I went to bed.
And listened to every move Keira made.
As I lay there, I mentally planned where the plastic/flannel backed
tablecloths were in my hall closet were in case we needed them and I was
mentally planning a shopping trip to Kohls to get a new set of fabulous towels
to replace the crappy old towels we
have.
We made it to Friday morning with no birthing crises, and
I got a quick response from Rhea (5AMish) advising me that Keira’s not going to
go into labor before I bring her to Rhea on Sunday. My parenting skills rule as Keira’s nose is
wet and cold again, but I had to take her peeing on the kitchen floor in the
loss column. I’m good with the pee on
the floor as I didn’t have to wake Bob up and make him utilize his First
Responder skills to birth Keira!
It took about a half gallon of visine to remove the grit
from my eyes this morning, but it was a good day! Keira even made (very slowly) a couple of laps around the neighborhood and
she’s not as uncomfortable today/tonight as she was last night.
She’s peaceful, that makes me happy. My
only disappointment is that I haven’t felt the puppies moving, I would love
that. . .
I’ll keep y’all posted!
Aud
No comments:
Post a Comment